Florida Family Law
Call Today 321.428.2247
Protecting the Rights of Clients & Families Throughout Orange & Seminole County

Grandparent’s Rights

Maitland Family Lawyer Protect You & Your Grandchildren

Family court judges are increasingly accepting the concept that it takes a village to raise a child. This bodes well for grandparents who seek increased contact with their grandchildren, or grandparents who seek temporary custody in order to remove their grandchildren from an unsafe environment at the custodial parent's home.

If you are a grandparent who requires help with an issue relating to your grandchildren, contact The Troum Law Firm, P.A., to speak with a Maitland family attorney. We assist clients throughout Orange and Seminole Counties.

Can I Get Custody or Visitation of My Grandchildren?

Florida law states that if a marriage is still intact, the parents can decide whether or not grandparents have time with any grandchildren, as long as there are not unusual circumstances.

However, issues do arise. These include:

  • Problems at the child's primary residence that may put them in danger
  • The inability of a parent to provide proper care
  • Evidence of mistreatment, including verbal, physical, or emotional abuse

Our experienced legal team at The Troum Law Firm, P.A. can advise you about the possibility of getting an order for temporary custody of a grandchild if these extenuating circumstances exist. Family court judges often determine that a grandparent's home is the best placement option for children when there is alcohol or drug abuse, criminal activity, or mental illness at their own home.

Learn More about Your Legal Options

If a grandchild's parents are divorced, your best option to obtain increased visitation is to make sure the child's mother or father (your son or daughter) has equal timesharing and/or visitation rights that are being properly enforced.

Our Orlando grandparents' rights attorney can review the unique facts of your case to determine if you have any legal recourse to increase the time you get to spend with your grandchildren.

Call our Maitland family attorney at (321) 428-2247 to request a consultation today.