Florida Family Law
Call Today 321.428.2247
Protecting the Rights of Clients & Families Throughout Orange & Seminole County

Mothers’ Rights

Maitland Family Lawyer Protect the Rights of Your Child

A paternity case in the state of Florida is a lawsuit to determine the natural and legal father of a minor child and to confer the rights and duties of a parent. The mother in a paternity action has the right to raise and litigate the minor child's rights on the child's behalf.

If you are a mother who needs to bring a paternity action, obtain legal help from The Troum Law Firm, P.A. Call us today at (321) 428-22477.

Mother's Right to Paternity Action

Mothers have the right to bring a paternity action on behalf of her minor child against an alleged father to determine whether he is the biological and legal father of the minor child. According to Florida law, the mother is the natural custodian of her minor child. This means that the mother has the initial legal right to exercise sole parental responsibility over the minor child until a legal father has been determined by a court of law.

Once a court of law determined who the legal father is, the mother will most likely need to share parental rights with the father. The mother may then file a paternity action to pursue greater support for her child.

The mother has the right to request, on the minor child's behalf, any of the following:

  • That the father pay child support
  • That the father covers the minor child with medical and health insurance
  • The father pays a portion of the non-covered medical expenses of the minor child
  • That he pay a portion of the mother's medical expenses related to the birth of the minor child
  • That the father pay a portion of the mother's attorney's fees and litigation expenses

Contact a Maitland Family Attorney for Assistance

If you are a mother with questions or concerns regarding child custody, divorce, or other family law issues, contact The Troum Law Firm, P.A. online to request a consultation. We serve clients in Orange and Seminole Counties.