Florida Family Law
Call Today 321.428.2247
Protecting the Rights of Clients & Families Throughout Orange & Seminole County

Frequently Asked Questions

Maitland Family Attorney

Attorney Mark S. Troum has over 30 years of professional experience, 27 of which were spent practicing family law. In this time, he has helped hundreds of clients and multiple different cases. This has given our firm the knowledge to help answer our questions and concerns.

Every case is different, however. For a personalized consultation, call The Troum Law Firm, P.A. at (321) 428-2247 or contact us online today.

Should I sign a pre or postnuptial agreement?

Many people falsely believe that having prenuptial and postnuptial agreements in place can herald an inevitable divorce. However, this is not the case at all. In fact, these agreements can help protect you or your spouse in the worst case scenario of an unexpected death. Furthermore, your assets are important and having a plan in place may be able to protect your best interests.

How long will my divorce take?

This depends on if your divorce is contested or uncontested. An uncontested divorce can take as little as five weeks, while a contested divorce may take months to be heard in court. The amount of time a divorce takes includes how many assets and properties need to be agreed upon and divided, as well as a number of complicated emotional issues. Having an experienced attorney on your side can make the process move as swiftly as possible.

How will my assets be divided after my divorce?

If you have signed a pre or postnuptial agreement, you and your spouse’s assets will be divided according to its terms. More commonly, however, there is no agreement in place and your assets and property will then be divided by a judge according to issues such as your economic circumstances, the duration of the marriage, and the contributions of both spouses during the marriage.

If I have custody of my child, can I move them out of state?

The answer to this question depends on the Final Judgment in your divorce. Sometimes this document specifies provisions for moving and sometime it does not. If your Final Judgement does not say anything on the topic of moving out of state or even to a new county, it is in your best interest to contact a Maitland family attorney to help you petition the court.